Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Full of good stuff so you don't have to feel guilty. From Tiny Morsels blog.
Make and share this Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Submerge dates in hot water (not quite boiling) for 10 minutes, so they can soften a bit. Stir together the ground flax seed and water, and set aside.
- Put the soaked dates and the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add in the flax mixture, 1/3 cup of the oats, the canola oil, cane sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pulse again for about 15-20 seconds, to chop and mix everything well.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the coconut, flour, baking soda, and the remaining 1/3 cup of oats. When everything is well combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten the cookies just slightly with the back of a spoon (or your hands), because they won't spread much during baking. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until they start to turn golden. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.