Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Submerge dates in hot water (not quite boiling) for 10 minutes, so they can soften a bit. Stir together the ground flax seed and water, and set aside.
- Put the soaked dates and the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add in the flax mixture, 1/3 cup of the oats, the canola oil, cane sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pulse again for about 15-20 seconds, to chop and mix everything well.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the coconut, flour, baking soda, and the remaining 1/3 cup of oats. When everything is well combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten the cookies just slightly with the back of a spoon (or your hands), because they won't spread much during baking. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until they start to turn golden. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.