Recipe by spatchcock
These make a great good-for-you breakfast! I think it would also work well to double or triple it, freeze the bars individually, and grab them on your way out the door for inclusion in lunch or breakfast on the road.
Top Review by HEP MEP
DEE-licious! These caught my eye because I love dried apricots. I just tasted a half of one, I'm sure I'll be making them again. I used eggs, and I had regular rolled oats in the house, so used those instead of quick oats, and the results were great. Thanks for sharing this one!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unpacked brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quick oats
- 15 pieces dried apricot halves, diced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute (you could use two eggs for this if you don't have FF egg sub)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, oats, apricots and sunflower seeds.
- Whisk together margarine and egg substitute.
- Quickly mix together wet and dry ingredients.
- Spoon into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into 8 rectangles.
- Yields 1 bar per serving.