Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
These meat balls go well with the Easy Low-Fat Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce. I cook these in the microwave in a steamer. This way the fat drains off. I usually rinse these a little also. This recipe came out of a want to have spaghetti and meatballs without all of the fat. These balls freeze great.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- Mix all ingredients together and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Put in top of steamer basket.
- Put 1/4 cup water in bottom of steamer. Cover and cook 5 to 8 mins on high or until cooked through.
- Rinse under HOT water for about 5 minutes.
- Use in normal way you would use meatballs.
- To freeze, flash freeze meatballs and then place in a freezer bag. Use as many or as few as needed.
- Makes about 20 meatballs 3 per serving.
The meatballs were not as tender as I would have liked, but they tasted great with the sauce I used. We had over spaghetti squash for something different. We enjoyed it and I love the fact that it is low fat. Thank you!
I'm going for 5 stars because for meat balls they are indeed healthy and very tasty. I love the idea of steaming and then using a hot water rinse to get rid of as much fat as possible. Ok, they aren't as pretty as golden brown ones but I don't mind at all. I lessened the amount of Parm because I was afraid that 1/2 a cup would be too strong so I used 1/3 cup and for us that worked very well. Don't slack off on the Italian herb mix though. I found that I needed to add a bit of salt at dinner. They are very good and I appreciate the heart health aspect very much.
I cooked these meatballs in my rice steamer tonight. They were very good and also easy to put together! My entire family enjoyed the taste and texture (they were very tender) and I will be making them again. We poured spaghetti sauce over the meatballs and served with garlic bread. Thanks so much for a great weeknight meal!