This bread is a combination of zucchini and banana bread, and it is a wonderful way to use up old bananas and dip into that summer harvest of zucchini. The bread tastes more like banana bread than zucchini bread, but it has the added nutritional benefits of vegetables. This bread is lower in fat that the standard banana/zucchini bread because applesauce replaces some of the oil in the recipe. Still using some oil, however, will prevent the bread from getting rubbery. Experiment by using pumpkin instead of bananas during the autumn months or by adding walnuts and dates! This recipe makes 2 loaves. Enjoy!
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (Quaker Old Fashioned Oats)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs (or Egg Beaters to cut some calories)
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 medium overripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup raisins (or dates or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together white flour, wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the sugar, oil, applesauce, and mashed bananas to the eggs; mix well.
- Add the vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the zucchini and raisins.
- Pour into 2 lightly greased loaf pans (9x5-inch).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Used only whole wheat flour for my muffins. Substituted the oil for my latest miracle ingredient....Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt! 1 cup of yogurt instead of the oil/applesauce combo. Less calories, less sugar, and mega protein! I used only 1/2 cup sugar. I will try adding an extra banana and completely omitting extra sugar next time. I used cranberries so that upped the sweetness. Also added 1/2 cup ground flax seed. AND since everyone loves a crunchy topping on their muffin, but streusel is sooo not healthy.... I used Kashi GoLean Crunch on top! Just crushed it a little bit smaller. Again a little bit of extra protein :-) Baked 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Made 24 muffins.
I thought this was great even with the mods I made to make it even more healthy, so I am sure if made as written it would be fabulous! The changes I made were to use all whole wheat pastry flour, cut the sugar to 1 cup, added extra cinnamon, subbed flaxmeal + water for eggs and skipped the oil in favor of an extra banana. I actually thought it tasted more ;ike zucchini than banana bread, but either way it's very moist and yummy!
This bread definitely does not taste low fat! It's so moist I think I will cut back on some liquid next time, maybe squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before baking. I added about 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas and cut the oil to 3 tbs. I love the texture from the oats! I added chocolate chips to one loaf. One thing was, the top was getting very dark before the center was cooked so I covered it with foil for the last 10 minutes. Thanks!