Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy vegan Italian Bread Sticks or Pizza Crust! I've given directions below in how to make this as Italian Bread Sticks, but to turn it into Pizza Crust is quite simple. Simply omit the Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder from this recipe and roll to fit 2 medium sized pizza pans and TADA you have pizza crust. Freezes well also. From "The Best of Silver Hills Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine" cookbook. Update: Lately I've been making this as a pizza crust without omiting the Italian seasoning, garlic, and onion powder and I think it makes the pizza taste even better.
- 2 cups water, very warm
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 cups unbleached white flour
- Mix all ingredients together and knead dough for 5 minutes. Let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough in half. Place one half on a floured counter top and roll it out to form a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place dough sheets on a vegetable oil-sprayed cookie sheet. Cut dough into thin strips about 1/2 inch apart along the width of the pan. Repeat this process with the remaining dough portion.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with salads and entrees.
These were great breadsticks Enjolinfam. We enjoyed them very much. They were quick and easy to make, light and crunchy and had great flavour...just perfect with our dinner. Mine only took 20 minutes to cook. I must say the house smelled incredible while they were baking...Thanks for sharing
Great, easy recipe! I cut the recipe down quite a bit (for about 8 breadsticks) and used way more garlic powder (about 1 tsp), and Splenda for the brown sugar. I think my baking time was only 12-14 minutes at 375. They are a great addition to any meal; thanks so much
Cut this in half, and used all white flour. Great recipe. made pizza crust and I will be using it again. Despite my bad luck with yeast this was easy, and tastes great! Never thought I could make one like this.