1/4 Photos of Healthy Granola
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe has been in the making for several months. I have tried a number of combinations and this works best. The sugar and fat have been reduced. I can only get two pans in my oven at a time so the cooking time reflects cooking two at a time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup milled flax seed
- 1/2 lb unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar substitute (regular brown sugar can be used)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sorghum (molases can be used but the sorghum produces a lighter flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups dried fruit (combination of raisins, blueberries, cranberries)
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, flax seed, coconut, sesame seeds and nuts, mixing well.
- 3In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar substitute or brown sugar, water, oil, honey, sorghum, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- 4Heat until thoroughly mixed; do not boil.
- 5Pour the syrup over dry ingredients and stir until coated well.
- 6Spread into five 13 x 9 inch jelly roll pans.
- 7Bake 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8For a crunchier texture, bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- 9Cool mixture and add dried fruit.
- 10Store in airtight container in a cool dry place.
- 11Will keep up to 6 months; but it doens't make it that long in our house.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Granola
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.1
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 94.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown sugar substitute