Recipe by jessnach
I came up with this to finally use the last squash from my mom's garden. We do not use salt in our household, so you may want to add to taste. I use homemade broth so I can control the sodium, and I roasted the squash a couple days before, so it was really quick to put together. You can easily make this vegan by omitting the canadian bacon and substitute vegetable broth.
- 2 butternut squash
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- halve squash and scoop out seeds.
- Roast in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop out flesh and discard skins, set aside.
- Sautee on low heat onion, celery, bacon garlic and spices until onion is translucent, but not brown.
- Transfer to blender, add enough broth to puree, and put in 3 quart soup pot on low heat add bay leaf.
- Put squash in blender with broth and puree, this will take 3-4 batches to puree entire squash.
- Add squash to soup pot and stir well to combine.
- Cook on low heat until flavors have mingled, stirring occasionally so that the bottom doesn't burn.
- Serve with whole grain bread.