Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe REALLY made 12 muffins and they're only 125 calories a piece, not to mention, they taste great.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (i used skim)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (i used 4 packages of Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (i used a little nutmeg and 1/4 t cinnamon)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (i added, but it's optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or paper line muffin cups (i sprayed).
- Combine cereal, bananas, milk, egg and oil in bowl; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes; stir to break up cereal.
- Combine flour, sugar (sweetner), baking powder, baking soda, spices and nuts (if using) in separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture all at once to cereal mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups, which comes to about a heaping tablespoon per muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm (room temp is OK too).
This came out great! to make it extra healthy I substitute the flour for wheat flour instead and instead of vegetable oil I used lighter bake oil and butter replacement! So its less calories and less fat:-) I also used 6 packets of truvia instead of sugar to make it sweet! Thank you for this recipe:-)
After the first day these muffins were incredibly dry. I couldn't force myself to eat them. If I try this recipe again, I will be making only enough to eat fresh, or else adding more fat.
These muffins were very delicious! I made a few substitutions that helped make them extra moist and even less in calories!
Use 3 tbsp of unsweetened applesauce instead of oil
Use splenda instead of sugar
Use Egg Creations instead of a real egg
New nutritional info per muffin: 97 calories, 2.0 grams of fat, 18.0 carbs.