Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Good healthy choice for vegetarians and diabetics.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wash squash, halve and remove seeds.
- Place squash halves cut side down in 3 quart baking dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Let squash cool for 10 minutes.
- Using spoon remove squash pulp from the shells and discard shells.
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender stirring frequently.
- Add squash pulp, broth and water.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture just reaches boiling, stirring frequently.
- Stir in brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Process mixture in blender or food processor until smooth and return to saucepan.
- Stir in half and half.
- Heat through.
- If desired garnish servings with pumpkin seeds and additional cinnamon.