Adapted from Littlebigblog.com. This is a healthier take on macaroni and cheese subbing cauliflower (or other starchy veggies like turnips, summer squash) for pasta and reducing the amount of cheese used by substituting nutritional yeast. Like all my recipes, this is ultimately adaptable to your own tastes and larder. Great as a casserole topped with bread crumbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 cups skim milk
- 6 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I usually use a mix of whatever strongly flavored cheeses I have on hand and a sharp cheddar)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, ground finely (but not into a paste!)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (any yellow mustard will work, add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional, doesn't make dish spicy but adds a nice depth)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (for topping)
- 1 -2 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 1Steam cauliflower either on stove or in microwave until tender but not mushy. Put into 9x11 baking dish.
- 2Chop or shred cheese(s) and put aside.
- 3In a large saucepan combine milk, Wondra flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, stirring to combine milk and flour so there are no lumps. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until milk comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Turn off heat and add cashews, cheese, mustard, nutritional yeast, cayenne (if using, can substitute paprika) and stir until cheese has melted.
- 5Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower in baking dish, stir to combine. Top with panko and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until topping is browned.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.0
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 265.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: