Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just a small piece keeps me filled and satisfied for hours.
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped sweet onion (to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 (9 inch) frozen deep dish pie shell
- Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook the turkey bacon until crisp, according to package instructions. Crumble and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Add 1/2 and 1/2 , low-fat milk, cornstarch, pepper, salt and nutmeg, then whisk to combine.
- Mix cheese into cooled onion-bacon mixture, then spoon the mixture into the pie shell in an even layer.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly on top.
- Bake the quiche for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and set in the center.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.