Recipe by PaulaG
Not a clue where I got this recipe. It makes for a nice change of pace and goes well with either chicken or fish.
Top Review by Rose is Rose
Even not having every ingredient on hand, it was still delicious! I didn't have zucchini, so used 1/2 cup finely diced celery and about 1/4 cup diced onion in addition to the grated carrot. I doubled the sunflower seeds. I also didn't have red pepper flakes on hand, so missed out on the heat. That said, it was really good! It had a great crunchy texture; the rice was nice and fluffy--not gooey. Because I am not a health nut, I added 2 tablespoons of butter in with the rice and broth. We also salted at table-it is a lower salt recipe. As I was making it, I thought raisins or other dried fruit would be good also. Paula G, thanks for another super recipe! We eat a lot of brown rice and I will be making this often!
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, shredded
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced or 1 tablespoon dired parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the rice to the broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 50 minutes.
- Allow the rice to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- When the rice is almost done, cook the carrot and zucchini in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add sunflower kernnels, almonds and pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the almonds are browned.
- Add rice and parsley; stir until heated.