Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from the Wayfarer Restaurant in Cannon Beach, Oregon. This stew is perfect for cold nights and good friends. Nice crusty French, Italian or Sourdough Bread would be the perfect side to this stew.
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin or 2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 slices bacon, cooked diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups red wine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups pumpkin or 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas (kernels) or 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted salted (kernels)
- Pat meat dry with paper towel. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Toss to coat well.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Add meat cubes and cook until they develop a dark brown crust on all sides. Add bacon, onions and thyme. Cook until onions are transparent.
- Add red wine and broth. Cover with lid and simmer on low until meat is almost tender and sauce thickens (2-3 hours).
- Add carrots, potato, celery and pumpkin. Cook until vegetables are tender (20 minutes).
- Ladle stew into bowls and sprinkle with pepitas.