1/1 Photo of Hawaiian-Style Braised Pork
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
You can use any cut of pork you desire. I like pork shoulder because it has more flavor. This cooks slowly and does not require a lot of attention,it's easy to make, and even better if you prepare this a day ahead, the flavors really intensify, just rewarm over low heat. Because of the soy sauce, add the salt in at the end of cooking. If possible make this with only green onions. Serve this with rice, this is a wonderful pork dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, cut into about 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (can use more)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (more as needed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 10 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (can use more)
- 1 -2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for a thinner texture use only 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch)
- 1Season the pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder (season the pork cubes with a small amount of salt or omit the salt and just season with pepper and garlic powder).
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in about 1/3 of the pork and saute until brown (about 6-7 minutes) transfer to a bowl and continue with the remaining pork.
- 4Add in the fresh garlic, green onions and ginger; saute for 1 minute.
- 5Return the pork to the pot along with any juices from the bowl or plate.
- 6Add in 1-1/2 cups broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes and five-spice powder; bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until the pork is very tender (about 90 minutes or more or less).
- 8Stir/whisk in remaining broth and cornstarch together in a small cup; mix into simmering sauce.
- 9Simmer until the gravy thickens, stirring occasionally (about 3-4 minutes).
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian-Style Braised Pork
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 847.8
- Calories from Fat 575
- Total Fat 63.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 214.7 mg
- Sodium 1313.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 55.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: