Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A family favorite that has been around for decades. Great for small, medium, or large groups, since it's served buffet-style. Recipe was given to us by a friend in Oregon.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) can chow mein noodles
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 ounces drained pimiento, diced if desired
- Combine soup and broth to make gravy. Stir to blend. Add meat.
- Simmer 8 - 10 minutes to heat thoroughly.
- Serve buffet or family style, layering all ingredients.
- Some afficianados of the meal would consider it heresy if ingredients are layered in any manner other than:.
- Rice, noodles, meat & gravy, tomatoes, celery, green pepper, onion,pineapple, cheese, more meat & gravy, almonds, coconut, and pimiento. Assemble differently at your own risk.
This is similar to a recipe I used to make at a group home I worked at a few years back. It was one of our favorite meals. The recipe we used was different though. Instead of using chicken broth we would mix one can of cream of chicken soup with a half cup of mayo and a half cup of sour cream. Black olives are good on top too.