Recipe by SmHerndon
Quick to prepare, this meal combines veggies, pears and pineapple with chicken. You can substitute canned sliced water chestnuts for the cashew nuts the next time you make it. Recipe can easily be doubled. Always be sure to use ripe pears if not using canned.
Top Review by Media Magic Momma
Very tasty and easy to make. I had a bumper crop of pears so I have been looking for ways to cook with them. I also added white mushrooms (had some that needed to be cooked right away). That worked well with this recipe. I served it with Minute Rice Multi-Grain Medley with a pinch of saffron- delicious!
- 4 fresh Anjou pears or 4 canned pears
- 1 lb chicken, sliced into 2 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and slice pears, if using fresh. Sauté chicken in butter 3 to 5 minutes or until juices run clear. Drain pineapple; reserve 1/3 cup liquid.
- Add pears, pineapple, green pepper and cashews to chicken; heat thoroughly.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, reserved pineapple liquid, water, vinegar and soy sauce in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens; cook 1 minute longer. Pour sauce over pear-chicken mixture and toss gently. Warm to serving temperature.
- I sometimes add extra white sugar to sweeten it to my liking, and always double the sauce.