Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
2 points plus/cupcake Recipe source: Weight Watchers Magazine (January 2012)
Make and share this Have a Heart Cupcakes (Ww) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 mini muffin tins with muffin liners (red ones will looks pretty).
- In a bowl mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together the buttermilk and the food coloring.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer mix together the sugar, applesauce and canola oil. Add the egg and egg white -- beat one minute on medium speed.
- On low speed alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating until blending before adding additions.
- In a cup mix together the baking soda and vinegar and let stand until fizzy and then with a rubber spatula fold mixture into the batter.
- Spoon batter among muffin cups.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Serve sprinkled with the confectioners sugar -- but for a special Valentine touch -- cut one inch paper heart and place heart on cupcake before sprinkling with the confectioners sugar; remove paper heart from cupcake and serve to your special Valentines!