This is an awesome breakfast casserole that is prepared ahead. It is easy and different. I found it in the December 2003 Southern Living magazine. We have had it for Christmas morning breakfast two years running. It's a hit at our house!
- Cook sausage and onion in large frying pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until meat crumbles.
- Stir in hash browns, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and hash browns are lightly browned.
- Drain mixture well on paper towels.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- A stoneware baking dish works really well.
- Stir together the lightly beaten eggs, shredded cheese, milk, baking mix, salt and pepper.
- Pour evenly over sausage/hashbrown mixture.
- Stir well.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours.
- Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- You can also keep the casserole warm until you are ready to eat by covering it with foil and putting it in a 200 degree oven.
- Optional toppings: sour cream, favorite sauce of your choice (picante, hot sauce) You can also garnish it with parsley.