Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A lucious, fruit filled breakfast.
- 2 apples or 2 pears or 2 -3 cups fresh fruit
- 1 cup butter, plus additional for sauteing
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Peel, core and slice apples and pears.
- Saute in butter for about 2 minutes perside, allowing 1 TBS butter for each apple and pear.
- Squeeze lemon juice evenly over sauteed slices, transfer to container and hold.
- Cintue to process until all fruit is sauteed and sprinkled with lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, sift 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar and baking powder.
- With a pastry blender, blend in 1/2 cup butter to form a consistent mixture.
- Add egg and 1 cup milk.
- Blend to incorporate.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Layer fruit slices on top of batter.
- Heat lemon zest and apricot preserves in saucepan over moderate heat; whisk until melted.
- Drizzle over fruit.
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle even on top of fruit and preserves.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Add powdered sugar to 1 TBS milk to make a glaze.
- Spread over warm coffee cake.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or cooled.