Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Toasted wheat germ gives this top-notch bread a slightly nutty flavor.The recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast or 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- This makes an 1 1/2 pound loaf.
- Add the ingredients to the machine according to manufactures directions.
- Select whole grain cycle or basic white bread cycle.
Lovely bread! I actually made this with my KitchenAid rather than with a bread machine. Here's what I did: I warmed the milk to about 100F and added the yeast and brown sugar and proofed it until foamy. I added the flours, germ, room-temperature egg and substituted the butter with olive oil (just feeling too lazy to melt butter). I formed it and let rise in a 9x5 pan. (I was in a hurry, so I only had time for 1 rise)I then baked it at 375 for about 30 minutes, then removed it from the pan and finished cooking on my pizza stone for about 10 more minutes until golden brown. Very good bread! It does have a nutty flavor as you said. It does have a dense whole-wheat texture, but that's what makes it so nice! We had for dinner with Creamy Mushroom Soup #82776 and was wonderful!
Delicious whole wheat bread which we enjoyed. I forgot the wheat germ so used 1/2 cup extra flour and a bit extra water to compensate. Thanks for sharing!