Harvest Bran Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat bran, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; stir well to blend.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Add brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, molasses, raisins and chopped dried apricots and mix well to blend.
- Add liquid ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Line a 12 cup muffin baking pan with paper liners.
- Fill cups 3/4 full with mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 to 23 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- As a variation, replace 1/2 cup natural wheat bran wih 1/2 cup of oat bran and then increase the buttermilk to 1 1/3 cups.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was so good. The ingredients blended so well together making for such a great flavor. I made these for my daughter and the friend, and it was very early that a plate emptied. I added cocoa as a substitute for in the thing which lasted neither of dry raisin and the dry apricot. I'll be making frequently these. Next time, I intend to put the dried fruit which soaked in rum. Thanks so much, Uncle Bill.