Recipe by Babs7
This recipe came from my fiancees' grandmother. The original recipe didn't have allspice but I've tried it recently and liked the addition of the spices. I like to serve these heated with butter slathered on top.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, heaping
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1 cup bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray muffin pans with cooking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Mix together boiling water and all bran.
- cream together Crisco, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk in a separate large bowl.
- Add bran mixture, bran buds, allspice, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix only until flour is absorbed.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake; check after 15 minutes, may need an extra few minutes to bake.
- Use as much batter as needed; cover and store extra batter in refrigerator for up to two weeks.