Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Connie Griffin at the Hope Lodge here at Mayo. She's every inch the lady and I thank her. These can be made ahead and frozen. Can you get any easier than that.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf French bread
- Brown ground beef with onion and green pepper.
- Add the next 6 ingredients; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slice bread and spread butter on top half of bread.
- Spread meat mixture on bottom half of bread and top with cheese.
- Wrap with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
Tweaked this just a hair.. Used cheddar cheese, omitted the green pepper, and added a little extra onion, and parmesan cheese. Adjusted this for 2 servings for lunch too. Made for a real nice lunch. DS and I both enjoyed this . A great nice lunch or mid-day treat. Enjoyed very much. Made for 1-2-3 hits.
This is amazing!!!!! I make it almost every week thanks for sharing.
This was good. Loved the fennel in it. Subbed chopped tomato for the tomato sauce, and cheddar for the mozza. Used more onion and cheddar than called for. Omitted the green pepper. Next time I might not wrap in foil, but just put the burger mixture on the bread, top with cheese and put under broiler until cheese is bubbly. Another time I added a bit of italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, used frozen bread/roll dough and put the mixture in, rolled up and baked for 20mins, and I enjoyed it even more!