Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is such a great comfort food. Simple ingredients make it so easy to make. Bake ahead and reheat servings in the microwave. This is a favorite for the whole family!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can cut green beans (drained)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup of warm milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown meat with onion, garlic (optional), salt and pepper.
- Mix in drained beans and soup (undiluted) Pour into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish Cut potatoes into medium chunks, place in pot and cover with water.
- Boil potatoes for 25-35 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and mash while hot adding egg and milk.
- Potatoes should be relatively stiff, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon potatoes in mounds over casserole.
- Sprinkle cheese on top Bake in 350 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes NOTE Instant potatoes may be substituted, but still add egg NOTE Used canned green beans if posssible, they add a great unique taste to the dish.
I made this today and it was good. I used a can of whole corn as we had green beans the other day. I will make it again but I think I will add about 1/4 cup water to the soup to give it a bit more liquid. Next time I will use the green beans, but I think any canned vegetable would be good.