Grandmas Hamburger Pie With Cornbread Topping
My grandma made this for us as kids all the time. She passed away two years ago and I recently came across a lot of her recipes and wanted to share them with the Zaar world. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. It's a quick and easy one dish meal. I always fix up a salad to go with it. This recipe has lots of possibilities. You could add green beans and potatoes to the mixture as well.Addition: I have realized that I did leave out an ingredient in the topping. I found the recipe and looked and--sure enough, you need milk.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons green peppers (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Brown hamburger, onion and green peppers in pan.
- Drain the grease.
- Stir in corn and tomatoes and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Mix cornbread topping and pour over hamburger mixture.
- Bake at 425° for 35-45 minute.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I made mine more like a cheeseburger pie. I added to my brown lean ground beef, one small can of tomato sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, Paprika, Worcestershire sauce, finely chopped red onion, minced fresh garlic, a can of mixed veggies. I topped with a bag of sharp cheddar and then topped with the cornbread batter. I used King Arthur Gluten-Free. Baked for 20 min.