Recipe by ChiefGreg
A recipe I received from a friend's mother, but customized more to my liking. Similar to lasagna, but not quite. Simple to make, with a minimum of dirty dishes afterwards. Feel free to be creative with the seasonings, pasta and cheese. The original recipe used spaghetti and American cheese. Change the amount of sugar to adjust the sweetness of the tomato sauce.
Top Review by D2thaK
Should have reviewed this ages ago. This is a staple at my house. Oh so easy to make, economical and absolutely INHALED every time I make it! In fact, I have to double it to make sure there are leftovers for my DH's lunch the next day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart covered casserole dish, saute beef and onions with celery seed, oregano, salt and pepper until beef is well done.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato juice and sugar and stir together.
- Cover mixture with an even layer of uncooked macaroni.
- Completely cover macaroni with slices of cheese, evenly over the entire surface.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand uncovered for 10 minutes to allow dish to set up, then serve.