Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the yummiest soup you will ever make. It's a wonderful way to warm up on a cold day and a great way to use up left over ham. If I don't have leftovers, I get a couple of 1/4 inch slices from the deli and cube it. You won't be able to have just one bowl. Cooking time will vary depending if you use fresh or frozen broccoli. Enjoy!
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons butter or 4 1⁄2 teaspoons margarine
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1⁄2 cup whipped topping
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir for a couple of minutes until thickened.
- Add broccoli and onion.
- Cook and stir until broccoli is tender tender-crisp.
- Add ham and cream. Heat through.
- Stir in cheese and cook until melted.
Sorrie Lue, just finished making your wonderful soup. It's so tasty and easy to make. Only thing I did differently was to zap the fresh broccoli for a few minutes before putting it in the soup. I assumed that it was whipping cream that you were referring to. Yum!
I loved it! Used it really to feed some friends make use of what was in fridge... Doubled nicely - used a fresh onion which I sauteed in the butter before the flour. Proceeed otherwise as written - you did mean whipping cream? That's how I interpreted. We really enjoyed this! Thank you Sorrie L. for a great soup recipe!
Wonderful! Wonderful! I doubled this recipe using freshly chopped broccoli, about 1 3/4 cup of freshly chopped sweet onions, deli black forest ham, and heavy cream. This soup is really awesome and I know I will be requested to make it again soon! I am so glad I discovered it before the cold weather hits because I know I will be making it a lot. Thank you, Sorrie Lue!