Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
So, I am home by myself and starving. I got to thinking about soup I had as a child with farmer's sausage and potato. While I am living in Canada again for the first time in years and actually have farmer's sausage in my freezer, I also had left over ham. So, here is my take on a hearty, yummy soup that most people can probably make with leftovers from a big ham dinner. Give it a whirl, I think you will be pleased. Note that I added a kind of weird ingredient of greek sour cream because I thought it would add a nice sourness to the soup (kind of like buttermilk) and I happened to have some in the house. I think regular sour cream (but probably not lowfat) would work too.
- 2 cups left-over ham
- 1 left-over baked potato (although if you don't have this you could certainly peel and boil some first)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- onion flakes (weird right? but I didn't have any fresh onions....)
- garlic powder
- chicken broth
- frozen spinach, nuggets (2)
- dill (to taste)
- 2 cups corn (I used the gold or white corn from Kroger or Fred Meyer)
- melt about 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan (real butter is sooo much better than margarine, trust me on this).
- add in about a teaspoon of onion flakes to rehydrate and soften.
- when the butter gets a bit brown add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- whisk together until you have "cooked" the flour (about 30 seconds).
- add 2 cups of milk and whisk until smooth.
- add a cup of chicken broth. I actually used chicken bouillon because that is what I had.
- add one heaping tablespoon of greek sour cream (see notes about using regular sour cream instead).
- Add 2 nuggets of chopped frozen spinach.
- let simmer on low while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- add a couple shakes of garlic powder.
- I put in A LOT of black pepper but do it to your taste.
- Add dill to taste as well, I used dry because that is what I had, but fresh would be super good.
- Chop up about 2 cups of ham into bite sized pieces.
- open the corn and drain.
- peel one big left over baked potato and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add all the ham, potato and corn.
- Taste and add extra dill, pepper if desired. I added another tablespoon of sour cream because I thought it would taste good.
- Let simmer until all the ingredients are hot and the spinach is dispersed throughout.
- and eat!
This soup is fabulous. I found it yummy and not too rich, as I thought it might be. Try it.