Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mom would always make this after we had a big ham dinner. Perfect way to use up leftover ham and the best comfort food for a cold winter's day.
- 2 pork hocks or 1 leftover ham, with the bone
- 1 (16 ounce) package navy beans, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 -2 celery leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine pork (ham), beans, water, bay leaves, onion and celery leaves into a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Bring soup to a boil then decrease heat and simmer for 2-3 hours until beans are soft.
- Add carrots and chopped celery to pot after checking beans and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.