Recipe by Michael Wodnicki
A simple, yet hearty eastern European dish that is a family favorite. The cheese mixture is indescribable. This dish can be prepared a day or two in advance, then baked just before serving. It also doubles or triples very well for holiday feasts or large parties.
- 1 small cabbage
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 small mild onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil noodles, according to package instructions, until al dente. Set aside in large mixing bowl.
- Dice onion. Saute in 1/3 stick of butter until they start to get a little color, then set aside.
- Remove stem and chop cabbage into bite-sized pieces (about 3/4 inch). Saute in 2/3 stick of butter until tender and have a little color. Add to noodles.
- Blend cottage cheese, sour cream, and egg. Add sautéed onions and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cheese mixture to noodles and cabbage and mix well. Pour into a glass 9 x 13 baking dish lightly coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake covered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes to crisp edges and top layer. Serve hot.
- DO NOT sauté the onions and cabbage together. The onions will burn before the cabbage is done. This also helps to better distribute the butter throughout the dish.