Recipe by katie in the UP
My Dad's Aunt use to make this for us every year when she'd come out to visit from New York. It's an old family favorite!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large head of cabbage, loose leafed
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice, drain.
- Saute onions in small amount of cooking oil; add to rice.
- Add meat, salt, pepper; mix well.
- Scald cabbage and separate leaves.
- Trim hard part from leaves.
- Place 2 heaping tbls of meat filling on cabbage leaf(bottom of leaf).
- Fold one side over filling and roll; tuck open end into meat filling.
- Continue until filling is used.
- Cut into strips the unused cabbage leaves and ine bottom of large kettle.
- Place holubki in layers on top of cabbage leaves.
- Pour drained sauerkraut over top.
- Pour tomatoes over everything and add boiling water to cover.
- Cook slowly for about 1 1/2 hours on low heat.