Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My Dad's Aunt use to make this for us every year when she'd come out to visit from New York. It's an old family favorite!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large head of cabbage, loose leafed
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- boiling water
- Wash rice, drain.
- Saute onions in small amount of cooking oil; add to rice.
- Add meat, salt, pepper; mix well.
- Scald cabbage and separate leaves.
- Trim hard part from leaves.
- Place 2 heaping tbls of meat filling on cabbage leaf(bottom of leaf).
- Fold one side over filling and roll; tuck open end into meat filling.
- Continue until filling is used.
- Cut into strips the unused cabbage leaves and ine bottom of large kettle.
- Place holubki in layers on top of cabbage leaves.
- Pour drained sauerkraut over top.
- Pour tomatoes over everything and add boiling water to cover.
- Cook slowly for about 1 1/2 hours on low heat.