Recipe by Alskann
Another tried and true Alaskan halibut recipe. My daughter originally got the recipe from a friend of hers. This is a delicious dish that disappears in a hurry.
Top Review by French Tart
A wonderful change to the usual meat lasagne! I made this in my crockpot - layered it all up as you should in a pyrex dish and then placed it in a large crockpot with boiling water poured to the half way mark on the dish; cooked it on automatic for 7 hours - that's 3 hours on high and 4 hours on low/keep warm.........it was wonderful! I also made Recipe #260976 by ChefPotPie to layer with the creamy white sauce - as we ALL like tomatoes and marinara sauce. I used single cream and local Emmanthal cheese with fresh thyme from the garden. My halibut was frozen - but still very good quality. We ALL loved this - made for ZWT4 and the Crockpot Challenge - amazing - thanks!! FT:-)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless halibut steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the halibut, garlic, thyme. Cook until fish flakes easily with a fork (approx. 10 min.).
- Remove from heat, chop up halibut and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to skillet. Stir in flour and salt until smooth.
- Continue to cook, stirring until golden brown.
- Gradually add broth and cream; bring to a boil (stirring constantly).
- Contiue to cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened into a nice white sauce.
- In a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish layer half the noodles, halibut, white sauce, and cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 min longer or until bubbly.
- Let stand 15 min before serving.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
- Variation: For non-swiss cheese lovers, use a provolone-mozzarella cheese mix.
- **Cooking time includes 15 minutes standing time.