Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Start simmering this hearty chili before the game and it'll be prime for halftime. I usually serve it with grated cheese, chopped onion, sour cream, hot sauce, and corn chips.
- 2 lbs round steaks (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 lb coarse ground beef
- 2 green peppers (diced)
- 2 large onions (diced)
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces salsa (medium spicy)
- 10 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- hot sauce
- Saute diced steak and ground beef with the onions and green pepper.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional chili powder and/or hot sauce to taste.
- Continue simmering uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes to thicken.
I tried this recipe for our school's annual Chili cook-off. There were over 30 entries in the contest but THIS recipe WON!!! We won first place...by a long shot! The wine adds such an amazing aroma and taste to the chili. It made a lot of food, so it is perfect for dinner with the family and then left-overs on the cold, winter nights.
Thanks for such an awesome recipe! I will keep this as a staple in our family...I may even call it my own!