I like this recipe because it is very easy to make and that there are many different toppings. I'm originally from Hawaii so I've tasted the Japanese Somen Salad. But since I've moved to Hainan, China, I've come to like Hainan version using the same kind of noodles. The Japanese Somen Salad version I got from my mother and the Hainan Noodles I got from observing street cooks here in Hainan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 205 g of japanese somen noodles (available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice vinegar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- sugar, to taste
- 2In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar, vinegar, and soy sauce together.
- 3Add sugar to taste.
- 5Boil water with vegetable oil.
- 6Put the noodles in the boiling water and cook for two minutes or until the noodles hand from your chopsticks.
- 7Pour noodles in a colander to drain the water.
- 8Put drained noodles in another large bowl and add add cold tap water or ice; Let noodles cool.
- 9Prepare toppings and sauce.
- 10Put the noodles in a serving bowl and top it off with your favorite toppings.
- 11Pour sauce on the noodles and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hainan Noodles/Japanese Somen Salad
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.7
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 578.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g