1 hr 15 mins
This is a European take on the traditional Shepherd's Pie recipe. I'm told it's named after Auguste Parmentier, the person who popularised potatoes in France in the 18th century. Serve this comforting dish with fresh peas or your favourite veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g large new potatoes, washed and peeled
- 6 pieces streaky bacon, sliced into skinny strips
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 trimmed leeks, sliced into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 50 g butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 500 g minced chicken or 500 g beef (your choice)
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 50 g grated gruyere cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Boil potatoes in salted water until just tender, drain and use a potato masher to crush the potatoes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil and 10g of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 3When the butter has melted, add the bacon, stirring to separate the pieces.
- 4Now add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and thyme.
- 5Cook for about five minutes.
- 6Add the leek and celery as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender.
- 8Stir the chicken or beef into the vegetables.
- 9Add half the parsley and 50g of the breadcrumbs, stirred with the milk.
- 10Increase the heat, stirring as the meat changes color.
- 11Leave to cook for about 15 minutes, adding the rest of the parsley near the end of the cooking.
- 12Spoon the meat mixture into a casserole dish and top with the crushed potatoes.
- 13Mix the Gruyere with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- 14Sprinkle over the top and dot with butter, before cooking in a 350 F or 180 C oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and crusty on top.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hachis Parmentier or French Style Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 932.9
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 159.4 mg
- Sodium 738.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 40.3 g