Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wasabi Ginger Sauce
- fresh jalapeno
- wasabi (to taste, your prefference)
- japanese horseradish (or regular)
- powdered ginger
Gypsy Pasta Salad
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 8 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cured black olives, finely chopped
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (white)
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- Wasabi Ginger Sauce: in a separate bowl, mix together the fresh jalapenos, wasabi, horseradish, and powdered ginger.
- Use a small amount of water if necessary.
- This will make your"Wasabi Ginger" sauce.
- Take 3 tablespoons of this sauce.
- Cook Ziti Al dente, drain and Reserve.
- Drain peppers place in food processor until almost liquid.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Add Wasabi Ginger Sauce and Olives.
- Slowly mix in Olive oil.
- Now add pasta and Cheese mix well and Serve.
This proved to be trickier than I thought and was very interesting since the sauce quantities are open for interpretation. I used 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno, 2 Tbsp wasabi paste, 1 Tbsp powdered ginger and about 1/2 cup water. Since wasabi is japanese horseradish, I didn't add any additional horseradish(the recipe was a little confusing). Nonetheless, this has quite a zing! 3 star rating because the sauce recipe is confusing without any quantities; also, the pasta salad was oily using 8 oz of olive oil. I liked the combination of roasted red pepper, olives and cheese. There's a lot of potential here: next time I am going to try this using a little sesame oil in the pasta salad instead of olive oil, and I am going to fiddle with the ingredient quantities for the sauce to see if I can get the taste and texture right. Mimi, do you have any ideas for quantities on the sauce? I would love to know what you used so I can give this another try.
I have to say, that I actually did really like this recipe. As did my husband. We frequent sushi places a lot, and this was a wonderful combo of the wasabi, and pasta. Who ever though of puting Wasabi on pasta? It's brilliant I tell you!
Hot and spicy