Member #610488's Note:
Original recipe from Denmark but modified during Danish rule over the Virgin Islands by the slaves who worked the Islands. Typically a Holy Week dish which used salted fish rather than fresh fish since fishermen could not go out to sea during this time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash herring, remove bones and skin.
- 2Put herring, potatoes, onions, pepper, and olives in a meat grinder. Add salad oil and vinegar. Combine thoroughly.
- 3Garnish with grated carrots, parsley, boiled eggs and diced beets.
- 4Usually a little diced beets, a few spoonfuls of grated carrots and chopped eggs are stirred into the mixture before garnishing.
- 5Roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Serve cold.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gundy Cruzan Style (Herring Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.7
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 162.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: