Recipe by BakinBaby
Mom used to make these all year round. She didn't use the black ones, instead gave them to us kids to munch on while we watched her whip the cookies up. No coconut in mom's recipe. I supose you could add a cup or so if you'd like. As she chopped the gum drops she tossed them in sugar to keep them from getting all stuck together.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup gumdrop (chopped and rolled in sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugars, shortening and eggs.
- Combine flour,baking powder, soda & salt, add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in oatmeal and gum drops that have been chopped and tossed sugar.
- Chill dough 2-3 hrs., roll dough in walnut sized pieces place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press with bottom of juice glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minute.