Recipe by Mille®
If you're not watching your sodium intake, use regular instead of low-sodium ingredients. This recipe is based on chili served at Gallagher'ss Steak House, 228 West 52nd Street, New York City, with just a couple of very minor alterations.
Top Review by Kirstin in the Couv
This was one of the best, if not THE best chilis we've ever had!!! Cooked it in the crockpot for about 7 hours instead of stovetop, but it turned out perfectly!!! The filet and ground sirloin together were fab!!!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 lb filet mignon, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 2 cups onions, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 chili pepper, seeds and veins removed,cut into 1/8 inch dice
- 4 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked kidney bean
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat up ½ cup of the butter in a large sauce pot over medium high heat until very hot.
- Add diced filet and cook until seared and browned around the edges.
- Add ground beef and cook until all of the beef is browned thoroughly.
- Remove the meat and set aside, draining off ¾ of the fat (leave the rest of the fat in the pot).
- Add the diced onions and chile pepper to the pot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pot.
- Add the Guinness and let boil for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and the beef stock and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and add both of the beans, the chili powder, cumin, salt, white pepper and brown sugar.
- Let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Finish by stirring in ½ cup more of the butter and the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garnish or serve with any of the following: sour cream, diced red onions and pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh chopped cilantro.