Recipe by Michele7
Lovely to have for a shower, take to a bereavement or family reunion, or just to enjoy with your family or friends. This bubbly chicken dish is one of my families favorites.
Top Review by Merlot
A wonderful dish, Michele! I made it exactly as you stated using Chardonnay for the wine. This dish is easy to assemble and so full of flavor. Changing the type of stuffing mix (say an herb stuffing) can give variety to the dish. Although I loved the corn bread stuffing with it. Thank you for sharing this. :-)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (4oz)
- 3⁄4 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 3 T of butter or margarine in a skillet.
- Add the onion; cover and cook slowly until soft but not brown.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Mix the cheese, stuffing mix, and paprika together.
- Rinse the chicken pieces in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly sprinkle the breasts with salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the cooked onion in the bottom of a 2 quart square baking dish.
- Add the chicken, and top with the remaining with onion.
- Cover with the cheese and stuffing mix.
- Combine the white wine and chicken broth, and pour over casserole.
- Dot with remaining 2 T of butter.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 35-40 minutes or until top is bubbly and lightly browned.
- If the chicken pieces are bigger and need more cooking time, check after 35 minutes and then cover with foil to add additional minutes.
- The chicken should be tender with no pink remaining.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is doubled easily.