Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 236.59 ml hard apple cider or 236.59 ml hard pear cider
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 946.36 ml shredded gruyere cheese
- 14.79 ml cornstarch, plus
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml calvados (or apple jack, Poire William)
- fresh ground black pepper
- crusty bread, cubes
- granny smith apple, slices
- bosc pear, slices
- sliced grilled kielbasa
- Combine the cider and vinegar in a nonreactive medium saucepan.
- Stirring to dissipate the bubbles, bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Decrease heat to med-low; the liquid should barely simmer.
- Toss the Gruyere with the cornstarch in a large bowl to coat the cheese.
- A handful at a time, whisk the cheese into the simmering cider mixture, whisking until the first batch is melted before adding more.
- When all the cheese has been added, return the heat to medium and heat just until the fondue bubbles a few times; do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Calvados; season with pepper.
- Transfer to a fondue pot set on its trivet over the flame.
- Arrange the bread, apples, and sausage for dipping on a platter.
- Serve the fondue hot with fondue forks and the platter of dipping ingredients.