In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup hard apple cider or 1 cup hard pear cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 4 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon calvados (or apple jack, Poire William)
- fresh ground black pepper
- crusty bread, cubes
- granny smith apple, slices
- bosc pear, slices
- sliced grilled kielbasa
- 1Combine the cider and vinegar in a nonreactive medium saucepan.
- 2Stirring to dissipate the bubbles, bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 3Decrease heat to med-low; the liquid should barely simmer.
- 4Toss the Gruyere with the cornstarch in a large bowl to coat the cheese.
- 5A handful at a time, whisk the cheese into the simmering cider mixture, whisking until the first batch is melted before adding more.
- 6When all the cheese has been added, return the heat to medium and heat just until the fondue bubbles a few times; do not overcook.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the Calvados; season with pepper.
- 8Transfer to a fondue pot set on its trivet over the flame.
- 9Arrange the bread, apples, and sausage for dipping on a platter.
- 10Serve the fondue hot with fondue forks and the platter of dipping ingredients.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gruyere and Cider Fondue
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 242.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hard apple cider