Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This vegetarian East and West Africa sauce is full of protein. Tastes great served with rice or chapatis. The recipe came from the cookbook "Vegetarian Cooking Around the World.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small eggplant, cut into bite-sized pieces (with or without peel)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, smooth unsweetened (you can find this in the health food section of many supermarkets)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and 1/4 cup water and stir to make a paste. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute then add the onions and saute until transparent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes and then add the eggplant and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and water mixture to the tomato mixture and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until eggplant is tender.