Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This can be made using bulk Italian sausages or use both! I have even layered in sliced onions, pepperoni, ham or whatever you desire on top of the ground beef mixture before adding the mozza cheese.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- seasoning salt
- pepper (can use regular salt)
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups canned sliced mushrooms
- 2 -3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch bakin pan.
- Brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, green pepper, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and basil; mix well.
- Add in tomato sauce; bring to a boil; cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle mushrooms and then with mozzarella cheese.
- At this point the casserole may be refrigerated and finished later.
- Place the remaining 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl.
- To the flour, add/whisk in eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup (or more if desired) cheese; mix to combine.
- Pour over casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until browned.
this was wonderful! Just like an upside down pizza, so says my four kids. Added all the pizza fixings in with the ground beef. Topped with pepperoni and more cheese on top of the crust. A real winner and enough for Dad when he gets home too! Thank you!
Delicious! I made this with ground beef, used red peppers instead of green (personal taste preference) and a generous quantity of fresh mushrooms (added in step 3) instead of canned but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The quantity of garlic was just right for my taste! I also doubled the recipe as it looked like a great recipe for making meal size portions to put in the freezer. We loved this, and knowing that there are several more meals in the freezer is indeed very satisfying. Thank you, KITTENCAL, for another great recipe!
I really enjoyed this! I omitted the mushrooms, since I am not a fan of mushrooms, but otherwise followed the directions exactly. I think the next time I would put a tad less garlic. Maybe leave it out of the "crust". But, this is a keeper!