Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This can be made using bulk Italian sausages or use both! I have even layered in sliced onions, pepperoni, ham or whatever you desire on top of the ground beef mixture before adding the mozza cheese.
Top Review by PrincessMommy in Ontario
this was wonderful! Just like an upside down pizza, so says my four kids. Added all the pizza fixings in with the ground beef. Topped with pepperoni and more cheese on top of the crust. A real winner and enough for Dad when he gets home too! Thank you!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- seasoning salt
- pepper (can use regular salt)
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups canned sliced mushrooms
- 2 -3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch bakin pan.
- Brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, green pepper, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and basil; mix well.
- Add in tomato sauce; bring to a boil; cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle mushrooms and then with mozzarella cheese.
- At this point the casserole may be refrigerated and finished later.
- Place the remaining 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl.
- To the flour, add/whisk in eggs, milk, oil and salt until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup (or more if desired) cheese; mix to combine.
- Pour over casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until browned.