Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Everyday Food, episode "Food For A Crowd" (2008)
- 1 onion, in medium dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add oil. When shimmering, add onion and sweat until limp and translucent.
- Add cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper to beef; mix in well. Add beef to skillet. Add lemon juice to skillet. Cook 10 minutes until brown.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add milk.
- Add parsley and almonds to skillet. Stir well. Cook until beef begins to brown. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Lay out one sheet of phyllo. Keep remaining sheets covered with a damp cloth to prevent drying out. Brush sheet with olive oil. Cover with next sheet, rotated 30 degrees. Repeat oiling process; do not oil the last sheet. Transfer phyllo stack into an 8" pie plate.
- Add eggs to cooled meat and stir well. Pour into phyllo-lined pie plate. Fold phyllo edges up over the filling to cover. Brush exterior of phyllo with oil. Bake at 400F for 20-25 min until golden brown. Dust with a mixture of confectioner's sugar and cinnamon, slice and serve.