Love, love, love the taste of curry! Easy recipe with a nice blend of spices! Different way to use chickpeas! Found this recipe in a Jean Paré cookbook and adapted it a bit.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup light plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium. Add ground beef, green pepper and onion. Scramble fry for about 10 minutes until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Add garlic. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add flour and curry powder. Heat and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth, stirring constantly. Add tomato juice and chickpeas. Stir until boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Stir. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peas are heated through. Remove from heat.
- Add yogurt. Stir well. Remove to large serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.