Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Love, love, love the taste of curry! Easy recipe with a nice blend of spices! Different way to use chickpeas! Found this recipe in a Jean Paré cookbook and adapted it a bit.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup light plain yogurt
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium. Add ground beef, green pepper and onion. Scramble fry for about 10 minutes until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Add garlic. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add flour and curry powder. Heat and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth, stirring constantly. Add tomato juice and chickpeas. Stir until boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Stir. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peas are heated through. Remove from heat.
- Add yogurt. Stir well. Remove to large serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
This recipe was easy to make, tasted great (better the next day). I did add a bay leaf, cinnamon stick, 4 whole cloves and some raisins. Great meal for company, served with Greek yoghurt, chutney and rice. Great for freezing for another meal too! Thanks for posting...
Great recipe. Quick and easy. Fantastic taste. Must love curry. I also added cinnamon and bay leaves.
Hubby absolutely loves this recipe! I added 3/4 tsp. of the Red Curry Paste. I didn't have a green pepper so I used the red pepper that I had. I use Extra Lean ground hamburger so nothing to drain saving me time.<br/>Easy to put together for a dish that tastes great. I love the smell it adds to the home too.