Comforting main or side-dish made rich with tomato pesto and goat cheese and baked in individual casseroles. The original recipe called for twice the butter and whipping cream rather than fat free half and half, so if you can afford the calories, go for it. Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (1/2 cup diced) may be substituted for the pesto. Recipe makes 2 main-dish servings or 4 side-dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking hominy grits (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 1/2 ounces sun-dried tomato pesto (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces crumbled soft goat cheese (about 1 cup)
- chopped fresh chives (to garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; spray two 2 cup single-serving casseroles or baking dishes with cooking spray.
- 2Bring stock, butter and garlic to a boil; whisk in grits gradually until bubbling; reduce heat to moderately low, cover and simmer for 8 minutes, whisking frequently.
- 3Whisk in 1/2 cup half-and-half and simmer another 5 minutes, whisking frequently; add remaining half-and-half and simmer another 5 minutes,whisking often, until very thick.
- 4Stir in pesto and thyme; scatter the goat cheese over the surface and bake 15 minutes, until cheese softens; garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grits with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto and Goat Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.6
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.8 mg
- Sodium 862.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sun-dried tomato pesto