Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is a real southern favorite, a great breakfast casserole, a meal or a side dish. I hope you enjoy it. Note; Batter can be made the day before; covered refrigerate. Let stand 30 minutes before baking.
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (8-ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan; slowly stir in grits, cover; reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese, evaporated milk, garlic powder, and hot sauce; stir until cheese is melted.
- Add sausage and eggs; stir well; pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour, top with remaining cheese; bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted ans gloden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving, season with ground black pepper.
This exact recipe is printed on the side of a box of Alber's brand Grits. It's delicious, easy to make and filling. I used this recipe for the sausage: Recipe #100408 and cooked only eight ounces. A full sixteen ounces would dominate the dish. Fresh whole milk instead of canned and Tabasco jalapeno sauce. (If making for adults only, I would add fresh minced jalapeno.) Garnished top with green onions. ~Tasty Dish~ and hubby approved! thanks, cg