Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
please use fresh herbs for this quick weeknight recipe. if you need to use dried, reduce the amount by 1/3.prep time includes marinating.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tuna steaks (about 6-7 oz each)
- whisk together the first 6 ingredients for marinade.
- put mayo in a small bowl, add 2 tbsp of marinade, stir in, set aside.
- sprinkle tuna with salt& pepper, pour marinade over, turning to coat both sides, and marinate for 1 hr heat grill to medium high.
- grill tuna 3-5 minutes per side for medium.
- serve topped with aioli.
This was really nice. I am not a fan of mayo but have had some herbed aioli at restaurants so thought I would try it. I did add a bit of extra garlic to the aioli to kill the mayo taste but the marinade was very nice and we loved it.
This was my first attempt at cooking a tuna steak. I had to use dried herbs so I measured out about 1/3rd of the recipe amount for the dried herbs. I cooked mine on a stove top cast iron skillet. Cook time on medium to medium high was about 5 minutes per side. If fresh tuna was not so expensive by me I would make this recipe more often.
I omitted the mayo aioli and just used the first six ingredients to marinade. We really enjoyed it.