1/1 Photo of Grilled Thai Coconut Chicken Thighs
1 hr 25 mins
the mix'n vix'n's Note:
This is one of my fam's favorite dishes (my 8 yr old son, P1, loves it!) and it's super easy to make too. Lots of chopping, but I find that more therapeutic then shopping sometimes :) COOKING NOTE: Sometimes I hate to use the grill so this does well in the broiler too. Just use a baking sheet lined with foil topped with a non-coated cooling rack. Also fill bottom of pan with 1/2 cup of water to help cook evenly and keeps the meat juicy. Based a few times to get a nice thick, saucy coating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, rinsed and patted dry
MARINADE and BASTING SAUCE
- 1 (16 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup hoisin sauce (I use Koon Chun brand)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated (you can leave the skin on)
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (white parts included, reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thai basil, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1Combined all prepared marinated items in a large Ziploc baggie along with chicken thighs. Seal baggie and massage marinade into the chicken well. Let set in frig for 1 hour to overnight. The longer they sit, the more flavor they will develop.
- 2Preheat grill to reach med-high heat. Brush hot grill with olive oil so meat doe not stick. Strain off marinade into a small sauce pan, bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer until reduces to a thick consistency. Reserve half and use remaining as basting sauce during grilling process.
- 3Grill chicken for about 12 minutes on each side, basting with marinade reduction often.
- 4Remove from grill. top with reserved chopped green onion and serve reserved marinade reduction on side. I also like to serve mine with Green Sticky Rice and Orange Broccoli :).
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Thai Coconut Chicken Thighs
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 882.1
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.8 g
- Cholesterol 192.9 mg
- Sodium 1227.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 44.5 g